Norbert PALŠA, CZE

Norbert’s very personal report can be read in three languages. However, first there is a link to Strava where his ride can be admired in detail. His text is written in Czech. The translation into English and German was done using ChatGPT. Therefore, there may be small errors when rare phrases are used.

  Norbert’s report (English by ChatGPT)
  Norbert’s Bericht (Deutsch mit ChatGPT)
  Norbertova zpráva (originál)

  Norbert’s report

Kickdistance 2023: Wien – Berlin

Finally at the finish line. Over the past few days, there have been many posts about the race before and after its completion. To add to that, here are a few words from the beginning.
Registration, qualification – that has already been written about (Strava), so I’ll move on to the main event.

It all started on Friday morning when, before boarding the train, I checked and uploaded the route, ticking off items from my mental checklist of things I needed to bring and check. Backpack, scooter, helmet, gloves, goggles, and I’m ready to go.

I depart from Prague at 8:24 am and arrive in Vienna at 12:49 pm. I have a few hours before the meet-up with the other crazy people, so I take a short trip to the starting point of another race, Vie-BA, where I refill water from a public source, take a break on a bench under a beautiful leafy lime tree, and at a quarter to three, I set Museumsplatz 1 as the destination on my Garmin. After a while, we gather with most of the participants and their support teams and the media team. Andreas, David, Guido, Tomáš Hájek (whom I’m having trouble tagging) are already on the terrace of Café Leopold. Sandra arrives shortly after, and finally Michal as well. David Leitheiser, who came to see us, doesn’t participate due to tendonitis, but he came to greet us.

While we sit and eat, chat, we receive GPS trackers, a few documents to fill out (agreement to the race conditions), we are surprised by a sudden rain shower, and Michal and I ride back to the hotel in the rain (Garmin selects a route about 4 km longer than we would like, but it’s too late to change it).

There, after a quick shower, we meet Václav, accompanied by Markéta, so the starting field is complete. We dry our wet clothes, charge our devices. I realize that my phone is acting up, and the USB-C charging port is not working properly, and not every cable is compatible with the wireless charger, so my phone is charging to only 30 percent until the next morning. I enable maximum battery saving mode and pray that it lasts.

After breakfast and checking out of the accommodation, Michal and I move to the starting point, where a group of 8 scooter riders, their support, and a few fans gather at Stefansplatz. Cars with everything necessary are parked on the side, and an atmosphere of anticipation fills the air. A few group photos, setting the route on the navigation devices, and we line up facing the direction of the route.

Guido begins the countdown, “5, 4, 3, 2, 1, GO (Kick off)!” and we set off on a journey where everyone tests their capabilities.

In the beginning, I stay in the first pack together with Michal, Andreas, Sandra, Vašek, and Guido. We take turns leading the pack to enjoy being in the front for at least a moment. Andreas and Michal mainly take the lead, Sandra surprises us by rushing to the front and riding like a dragon. Later, I move forward and enjoy being in the lead because there won’t be another chance to lead the first pack. I also realize that I struggle in the hills, so I’ll likely separate myself. As long as it’s on flat ground, I don’t want to be left behind. A 4-member group separates from the first peloton and continues ahead. After a few kilometers, the rest is no longer visible. Along the way, we encounter the media team a few times (I have a photo at the front, ha! Thanks, Gerhard Daniela Zitzmann) and a few support vehicles. 24 km from the start, the average speed is maintained at 22.5 km/h. The first small hill arrives, and we start to split apart.

I have the opportunity to see Michal and Vašek riding together, followed by Andreas, and gradually I fall behind.

The automatic phase begins, and in my mind, I play songs whose tempo directly correlates with the rhythm of my kicks. The simple 4/4 beat nicely complements the frequency of my kicks, 8-8 (4-4 uphill), which I subconsciously adhere to. I walk up steeper hills than 6-7% because there’s no point in wasting energy when I’m not racing. I quite enjoy Austria, noticing the differences in village architecture and admiring signs indicating the beginnings and ends of villages and towns adorned with blooming geraniums.

At the 34th and 54th km, I stop for the first of many refreshment breaks (a piece of energy bar and dried bananas). I subsequently cross the border with the Czech Republic and stop at a COOP store in Jaroslavice for a quick refill, spending 43 CZK on 1.5 liters of water and a 0.5-liter can of Kofola (which I gulp down). I pass Znojmo, where I start to deviate from the main route, and the elevation gain begins.
The temperature starts to rise to 28°C, which is far beyond my comfort level of around 18°C. After Přímětice, I stop by the roadside where cherries grow (a little sour), pass by Kravsko, and reach the first 100 km. In Boskovštejn, I remember Andrea and continue at my own pace. In Jaroměřice nad Rokytnou, I am overtaken by a group of around 130 motorcyclists. The shoulder of the road becomes narrower, and the car traffic speeds up. I don’t even want to think about what it’s like on the main road.
In Nová Brtnice (151.9 km), I stop by a bike shop because I don’t feel like having ice cream. I strike up a conversation with the seller, who, along with others, admires the scooter and my route. On the way to Jihlava, I encounter a symbolic peak (x2), and the slow descent in elevation begins, interrupted by occasional climbs.

After a while, I start to think that a pub would be nice, and not even 100 meters away, I spot a pub in Antonínův Důl. I stop there for a Birell beer and a sausage. My wish is granted from above.

I continue uphill on a busy road, but at the 185th kilometer, I start to get tired of it and make a stop at a bus stop. I check my phone, which indicates a battery level of around 13%. I sit down for a while, stretch my legs, connect my phone to a power bank, but it charges very slowly (100% in 6 hours and 50 minutes). While waiting for the battery to charge at least a little, Sandra’s support team approaches me and asks if everything is okay because I’ve been standing still for a long time. I mention that my phone has a weak battery, but it’s charging, albeit slowly. So, I wait for another 15-20 minutes and continue.
I continue on the road, passing through Havlíčkův Brod, but before that, I visit a gas station (Shell, 192.8 km), where I refill water and an energy drink. I pedal on and reach Sázavka at a bus stop (215.9 km), where I need to take a short nap. It’s about 13°C, so I put on whatever warm clothing I can find and charge my phone. I switch off my awareness for an hour.

After waking up, I continue towards Kutná Hora, where I stop at another gas station (MOL, 248.1 km). I press a panini sandwich with chorizo to my mouth, grab a drink, get another energy drink, and chat with a Pole who sits at the table and asks about the scooter. Kolín, Poděbrady, Nymburk. After Nymburk, I have to put on my waterproof gear as it starts to rain. It’s not heavy rain, but it’s still unpleasant. I make a few stops for an energy bar, dried meat, bananas, and mango, and this is how I reach Mladá Boleslav, specifically gas station number 3 (EuroOil, 315.4 km), which strongly reminds me of the gas station in Uničov where Pája and I stopped twice for coffee during the “Crossing the Republic” event. I have a sandwich with ham and cheese, fill up my water bottles, put an energy drink in my backpack, and set off towards Postřelná.

Everything is somehow going automatically on autopilot. I leave Hrdlořezy behind, and after the ascent, I’m surprised by a downpour that I didn’t want to encounter. Instantly, everything is wet, and I manage to put on my waterproof jacket (I had the pants on the whole time). On the way to Bělá pod Bezdězem, I recall the Rybníkář’s Cup – well, just the pond, which somehow finds its way into my shoes. With a selected vocabulary, where almost every listed word falls, I spice up my journey, riding familiar roads through Ralsko, Mimoň (where I pour another energy drink into myself), and finally reaching the oasis of long-distance riders – Postřelná (361.4 km).

The day before departure to Vienna, I left my baggage with Tomáš, including spare parts, tools for service, food, drinks, sleeping pad with a sleeping bag, and so on. So as soon as I lean the scooter against the wall, my shoes, socks, and pants go out into the sun, the phone goes on the charger (hopefully for the last time). I have a canned tuna, English roll, water, run to take a shower, try to sleep, but Vláďa wants to chat (not the best time, I must admit). I receive information that Sandra passed by, fall asleep, wake up, apply Sudocrem because I can feel the soreness, spray a sunscreen (maybe in five layers), refill water, mix my isotonic drink, AC salts, take magnesium, lock the area, and set off. It all takes three intense hours.

After a pit stop in Postřelná, I head towards Jablonné v Podještědí, Krompach, Valy, and then I cross the state border four times, passing through Varnsdorf, Rumburk, and Království. At the cemetery in Království, I refill water in every bottle, which will be a critical stop (405.4 km). I pass by Šluknov, and from now on, I’m only riding in Germany.

The Federal Republic of Germany is a country of the eighth wonder of the world. On Sundays, everything is closed, except for a few food stalls along the main road. The same applies to gas stations and supermarkets. You won’t find a reliable source of drinking water where you could replenish your supplies. So, my last stop at the cemetery in Království was the final opportunity before redemption in the form of an open gas station in Hoyerswerda (Aral, 465.4 km). Otherwise, I would have had to survive with 2.5 liters of fluids for the remaining 225 km. This way, I refilled water after 60 km (I was quite nervous, Pavla knows, I messaged her from the stop near the pond in the village of Commerau), and this water lasted me until the end of the race, a total of 165 km. After reading that Sandra is maybe 10 km ahead of me, I kick up the intensity and now I’ll try to catch up with her.

Germany is a large, beautiful country, but quite flat and monotonous. After hours and hours on the kickboard, everything somehow blends together. It doesn’t help that when passing by large lakes, I’m on roads whose profiles and curves were seemingly designed by Euler himself. You can see straight for a kilometer or two, then it turns at some angle for a few meters, and then straight again, as if drawn with a ruler. At Sedlitzer See (487.6 km), I have my last energy drink and admire the wind turbines of a power plant. Nightfall arrives, and the thought of “just don’t fall asleep on the kickboard, just don’t fall asleep on the descent, don’t fall asleep!” echoes in my head. After Calau, in the village of Zinnitz, I’m barely holding on. I sit at the bus stop, put my backpack on my knees, and fall asleep for 35 minutes. My heart rate drops to a minimum of 61 bpm. I wake up and continue riding. The temperature drops from 14 to 8 degrees, and I need to warm up somehow, so I change my technique and engage in rapid circular kicks. I noticeably accelerate, even though my knees have been bothering me since around the 300 km mark, but this feels a bit better.

Luckau marks the section where I continue solely out of my own determination. More monotonous roads and scenery. I mix the remaining water with the isotonic drink and AC salts at the memorial of Soviet troops, pass through Groß Machnow, where I turn onto Kienitzer Weg – 3.5 km of complete disaster, seemingly only suitable for tanks. I go slowly to avoid puncturing, as despite using tubeless tires, I’m only a few kilometers away from Berlin, and I don’t want to end the race just because of a cut tire.

After Dahlewitz, I pass through a checkpoint, which is shifted to a value of 606.3 km at a time of 48:48:18, heading towards Berlin. I don’t really pay attention to where I am until I suddenly see a sign that says “Berlin,” so I ride to finally finish it. Gentle descents alternate with mild climbs. About 14 km from the finish line, I pass by a car next to which an upside-down scooter with a missing rear wheel is lying. I see Sandra shouting at me, “GO GO GO!!” So I go. Just a little bit left!

I am stopped by intersections, cyclists, cars, but I’m surprised at how considerate people behind the wheel are, where the infrastructure takes into account single-track vehicles as full participants in road traffic.

About a kilometer from the finish, Sandra catches up with me. She prematurely ended the race but stayed until the end, carefully monitoring my progress on the map. So we ride together for the last few hundred meters. I suggest sprinting at the end since we’re in the race anyway, and all I hear is, “you are so crazy!” Well, you too, dear Sandra, for embarking on this madness.

The last intersection before the pedestrian zone, a few meters, and FINALLY, WE’RE THERE!!! (630 km, 50h 23 min 31s)

We look for someone who could be waiting for us there, we circle around Brandenburg Gate, and eventually, we meet her support team. It’s a very emotional ending, tears welling up, a photo in front of the gate, about 100 hugs, and we say goodbye, knowing that we still have a few hours until the announcement of the results. However, since I have to go to work the next day, I go to grab something to eat, enter the address in the navigation to where Guido is, hand him the tracker, learn about the others, who made it and who didn’t, and then after saying our goodbyes, I set the destination to Berlin Hauptbahnhof.

I still can’t believe we did it. Just the fact that a person stands at the start of such a challenge can be inspiring, even more so when a friend wins it and beats a legendary time. When you can see what a person can achieve when they push themselves to their limits and overcome obstacles, with or without help, and even though it’s often not enjoyable, they pursue their goal. And even if they don’t finish it, it’s not the end of the world. They stood at the start, faced the challenge, tried it, and despite ending the race, it pushes them forward. Mentally, physically, they gain experience and discover the limits of their body.

I thank everyone who participated in the race, provided support, sent messages, wrote reports for others, took photos and videos, those who followed it with suspense, or simply read about it on Facebook or liked the posts.

I’m glad it matters to you.

P.S. I also wrote something about the route. I chose roads away from the main ones because Czech drivers tend to prove something in traffic. For my safety and for others as well, I took a detour of 25 km, which guaranteed peace of mind. In this regard, I believe Austria and Germany are completely different when it comes to road traffic. They consider cyclists as full participants, so the infrastructure is much better prepared for them, and it’s also evident that they receive much more and better attention in driving schools. We have something to learn from them.

  Norbert’s Bericht

Kickdistance 2023: Wien – Berlin

Endlich am Ziel angekommen. In den letzten paar Tagen gab es hier viele Beiträge über das Rennen, sowohl vor als auch nach seinem Ende. Um dem Ganzen die Krone aufzusetzen, sende ich hier ein paar versprochene Worte, aber fange von Anfang an an.

Anmeldung, Qualifikation – darüber wurde bereits geschrieben (Strava), also gehe ich zum Hauptevent über.

Alles begann am Freitagmorgen, als ich vor meiner Zugfahrt noch einmal die Strecke überprüfte und aufzeichnete und auf meiner mentalen Checkliste die Dinge abhakte, die ich mitnehmen und überprüfen musste. Rucksack, Roller, Helm, Handschuhe, Brille und ich konnte loslegen.

Um 8:24 Uhr fahre ich von Prag ab und um 12:49 Uhr komme ich in Wien an. Ich habe ein paar Stunden Zeit bis zum gemeinsamen Treffen mit den anderen Verrückten, also mache ich noch einen kurzen Ausflug zum Start eines anderen Rennens, Vie-BA, wo ich Wasser aus einer öffentlichen Quelle auffülle, eine Pause auf einer Bank unter einer schönen, üppigen Linde mache und um Viertel vor halb vier stelle ich auf meinem Garmin Museumsplatz 1 ein, wo wir uns nach kurzer Zeit mit den meisten Teilnehmern und ihrem Unterstützungsteam und Medienteam treffen. Auf der Terrasse des Café Leopold sind bereits Andreas, David, Guido, Tomáš Hájek (dessen Markierung mir nicht gelingt), nach einer Weile kommt Sandra und schließlich auch Michal. David Leitheiser, der vorbeigekommen ist, um uns zu sehen, kann wegen einer Sehnenentzündung nicht antreten, aber er ist gekommen, um uns zu begrüßen.

Während wir beim Essen und Trinken sitzen, plaudern wir, erhalten GPS-Tracker, ein paar auszufüllende Dokumente (Einverständniserklärung für das Rennen), wir werden von einem plötzlichen Regen überrascht und Michal und ich fahren auf dem Roller auf dem nassen Weg zum Zimmer (Garmin wählt eine Route, die etwa 4 km länger ist, als wir möchten, aber es ist bereits zu spät, um etwas daran zu ändern). Dort treffen wir Václav, dem Markéta Gesellschaft leistet, sodass das Starterfeld vollständig ist. Wir trocknen unsere nassen Oberbekleidung, laden unsere Geräte auf.

Ich stelle fest, dass mein Telefon Probleme hat und der USB-C-Ladeanschluss nicht richtig funktioniert, und dass nicht jedes Kabel mit dem kabellosen Ladegerät kompatibel ist, sodass mein Telefon bis zum nächsten Morgen nur bis 30 Prozent aufgeladen wird. Ich schalte den maximalen Batteriesparmodus ein und bete, dass es irgendwie durchhält.

Nach dem Frühstück und Verlassen der Unterkunft begeben sich Michal und ich zum Start, wo sich auf dem Stefansplatz eine Gruppe von 8 Rollern, ihren Unterstützern und ein paar Fans versammelt hat. Am Rand stehen Autos mit allem Notwendigen, und es herrscht eine Atmosphäre der Erwartung. Noch ein paar gemeinsame Fotos, die Navigationsroute wird aktiviert und wir stellen uns in einer Linie in Fahrtrichtung auf.

Guido beginnt mit dem Countdown: “5, 4, 3, 2, 1, GO (Trhni si nohou)!” und wir machen uns auf den Weg, um unsere Fähigkeiten zu testen.

Anfangs halte ich mich mit Michal, Andreas, Sandra, Vašek und Guido in der ersten Gruppe zusammen. Wir wechseln uns an der Spitze ab, um alle für einen kurzen Moment die Möglichkeit zu geben, an erster Position zu sein.

Hauptsächlich Andreas und Michal ziehen uns, aber Sandra überrascht uns angenehm, indem sie an die Spitze stürmt und wie eine Löwin fährt. Später komme ich nach vorne und genieße es, an der Spitze zu sein, denn später wird es keine Möglichkeit geben, die erste Gruppe anzuführen. Ich stelle auch fest, dass es mir in den Anstiegen nicht besonders gut läuft, also werde ich mich wahrscheinlich absetzen. Solange es jedoch flach ist, möchte ich nicht zurückfallen. Eine 4-köpfige Gruppe trennt sich vom ersten Peloton und setzt ihre Fahrt fort. Ein paar Kilometer weiter sind sie nicht mehr zu sehen. Auf dem Weg treffen wir mehrmals auf das Medienteam (ich habe ein Foto an der Spitze, ha! Danke, Gerhard Daniela Zitzmann) und ein paar Supportfahrzeuge. Nach 24 km ab dem Start halten wir einen Durchschnitt von 22,5 km/h. Ein erster kleiner Hügel kommt und wir beginnen uns auseinanderzureißen.

Ich habe die Möglichkeit zu sehen, wie Michal und Vašek zusammen fahren, dahinter Andreas und ich falle allmählich zurück.

Die automatische Phase beginnt und in meinem Kopf spiele ich Lieder ab, deren Tempo direkt mit dem Rhythmus meiner Trittfrequenz korreliert. Ein einfacher 4/4-Takt passt gut zur Frequenz von 8-8 (4-4 bergauf), die ich irgendwie unterbewusst beibehalte. Bei steileren Anstiegen über 6-7% gehe ich, es macht keinen Sinn, Kraft zu verschwenden, wenn der Wettbewerb nicht das Ziel ist. Ich genieße Österreich ziemlich, bemerke Unterschiede in der Dorfarchitektur, bewundere Schilder, die den Beginn und das Ende von Dörfern und Städten markieren und mit blühenden Geranien geschmückt sind.

Bei Kilometer 34 und 54 halte ich an den ersten von vielen Verpflegungsstopps (ein Stück Riegel und getrocknete Bananen), passiere dann die Grenze nach Tschechien und mache in Jaroslavice einen Halt im COOP für eine erste Auffüllung für 43 CZK – 1,5 Liter Wasser und eine 0,5-Liter-Dose Kofola (die ich in einem Zug trinke). Ich fahre durch Znojmo, wo ich anfange, mich von der Hauptstrecke abzuweichen und Höhenmeter zu sammeln.

Die Temperatur steigt auf 28°C, was weit über meinem Komfortbereich von etwa 18°C liegt. Bei Přímětice halte ich am Straßenrand an, wo Kirschen wachsen (etwas saurer), überquere Kravsko und die ersten 100 km. Bei Boskovštejn erinnere ich mich an Andrea und fahre in meinem eigenen Tempo weiter. In Jaroměřice nad Rokytnou überholt mich eine Gruppe von etwa 130 Motorradfahrern, der Straßenrand wird enger und das Tempo der Autos höher, na ja, ich will nicht darüber nachdenken, was auf der Hauptstraße los ist.

In Nová Brtnice (151,9 km) halte ich an und rede mit dem Verkäufer, bewundere mit anderen Rollerfahrern und bespreche die Strecke. Auf dem Weg nach Jihlava fahre ich über einen virtuellen Gipfel (x2) und beginne langsam, Höhenmeter abzubauen, unterbrochen von Anstiegen und Abfahrten.

Nach einer Weile fange ich an, mir zu sagen, dass eine Kneipe gut passen würde, und kaum 100 m weiter sehe ich eine Kneipe in Antonínův Důl, wo ich anhalte und ein Birell-Bier und eine Wurst bestelle. Mein Wunsch wird von oben erhört.

Nach einer weiteren Steigung auf einer stark befahrenen Straße reicht es mir bei Kilometer 185 und ich mache einen Halt an einer Bushaltestelle, überprüfe mein Telefon, das ungefähr 13% anzeigt. Ich setze mich für eine Weile hin, strecke meine Beine aus, schließe mein Telefon an eine Powerbank an, es lädt jedoch sehr langsam (100% in 6 Stunden und 50 Minuten). Während ich darauf warte, dass der Akku zumindest ein wenig aufgeladen wird, kommt das Support-Team von Sandra zu mir und fragt, ob alles in Ordnung ist, da ich schon lange an derselben Stelle stehe. Ich sage, dass mein Telefon einen schwachen Akku hat, aber es wird schon irgendwie gehen – es lädt, wenn auch langsam. Also warte ich noch mindestens 15-20 Minuten und fahre dann weiter.

Ich fahre auf der Straße weiter, Havlíčkův Brod erwartet mich, aber zuvor mache ich einen Halt an einer Tankstelle (Shell, 192,8 km), wo ich Wasser und einen Energieriegel auffülle. Weiter geht’s und ich komme in Sázavka an der Bushaltestelle an (215,9 km), wo ich mich zumindest für einen kurzen Moment hinlegen muss. Es sind ungefähr 13°C, also ziehe ich alles an, was ich finde, lade mein Telefon auf und schalte mein Bewusstsein für eine Stunde aus.

Nach dem Aufwachen setze ich meine Fahrt in Richtung Kutná Hora fort, wo ich an einer weiteren Tankstelle (MOL, 248,1 km) halte und ein Panini mit Chorizo esse, etwas trinke, einen weiteren Energieriegel kaufe und mich mit einem Polen unterhalte, der sich zu meinem Tisch setzt und nach dem Roller fragt. Kolín, Poděbrady, Nymburk. Hinter Nymburk muss ich wieder in regendichte Kleidung schlüpfen – es beginnt zu regnen, zwar nicht viel, aber es ist nicht angenehm, später wird es wieder nötig sein. Ich mache einige Stopps für Riegel, getrocknetes Fleisch, Bananen und Mango und komme so nach Mladá Boleslav, genauer gesagt zur dritten Tankstelle (EuroOil, 315,4 km), die mich sehr an die Tankstelle in Uničov erinnert, wo wir mit Pája zweimal auf dem Rundfahrt durch die Republik für einen Kaffee gehalten haben. Ich esse ein Sandwich mit Schinken und Käse, nehme Wasser in Flaschen und einen Energieriegel mit und mache mich auf den Weg nach Postřelná.

Alles läuft irgendwie automatisch im Autopilot-Modus ab, ich lasse Hrdlořezy hinter mir und nach dem Anstieg überrascht mich ein Regenschauer, den ich nicht treffen wollte. Sofort ist alles nass, ich schaffe es, meine Regenjacke anzuziehen (ich hatte die Hose die ganze Zeit an) und auf dem Weg nach Bělá pod Bezdězem erinnere ich mich an den Rybníkářův Pohár (Rybníkář Cup) – eigentlich nur an den Teich, der irgendwie in meine Schuhe gelangt. Mit ausgewähltem Vokabular, in dem alle möglichen Schimpfwörter fallen, würze ich meine Reise und fahre auf bekannten Straßen über Ralsko und Mimoň, wo ich einen weiteren Energieriegel esse. Schließlich komme ich in Tomášová Oase der Langstreckenfahrer – Postřelná (361,4 km) an.

Einen Tag vor der Abfahrt nach Wien habe ich bei Tomáš mein Gepäck mit allem Notwendigen, Werkzeugen für die Reparatur, Essen, Trinken, Schlafsack und Isomatte usw. gelassen. Sobald ich meinen Roller an die Wand lehne, werden Schuhe, Socken und Hosen in die Sonne gestellt, das Telefon wird aufgeladen (hoffentlich zum letzten Mal). Ich esse eine Dose Thunfisch, ein englisches Brötchen, trinke Wasser, gehe duschen und versuche zu schlafen, aber Vláďa möchte reden (obwohl es nicht die beste Zeit ist). Ich erhalte Informationen, dass Sandra vorbeigefahren ist, schlafe ein, wache auf, benutze Sudocreme, weil meine wunden Stellen spürbar sind, sprühe Sonnencreme in mindestens fünf Schichten auf, fülle Wasser auf, mische mein Iongetränk, AC-Salze, nehme Magnesium, schließe den Bereich ab und mache mich auf den Weg. Insgesamt dauert alles 3 Stunden, aber intensiv.

Nach einem Boxenstopp in Postřelná fahre ich nach Jablonné v Podještědí, Krompach, Valy und überquere die Staatsgrenze viermal in Richtung Varnsdorf, Rumburk, Království, wo ich auf dem Friedhof Wasser in jede Flasche nachfülle, was eine sehr kritische Pause ist (405,4 km). Ich fahre an Šluknov vorbei und ab jetzt bin ich nur noch in Deutschland unterwegs.

Die Bundesrepublik Deutschland ist ein Land des achten Weltwunders. Das bedeutet, dass sonntags wirklich alles geschlossen ist, außer ein paar Imbissständen außerhalb der Hauptstraße. Das gilt auch für Tankstellen und Supermärkte. Hier finden Sie auch keine zuverlässige Quelle für Trinkwasser, um Ihren Vorrat aufzufüllen. Also war mein letzter Halt in Království auf dem Friedhof der letzte, bevor ich von einer geöffneten Tankstelle in Hoyerswerda (Aral, 465,4 km) erlöst wurde. Andernfalls müsste ich mit 2,5 Litern Flüssigkeit für die verbleibenden 225 Kilometer auskommen. Auf diese Weise habe ich nach 60 Kilometern Wasser aufgefüllt (ich war schon ziemlich nervös, Pavla weiß Bescheid, ich habe ihr von meinem Halt am Teich im Dorf Commerau geschrieben) und dieses Wasser hat bis zum Ende des Rennens, insgesamt 165 Kilometer, gereicht. Nachdem ich gelesen habe, dass Sandra angeblich nur 10 Kilometer vor mir ist, erhöhe ich die Intensität und werde versuchen, sie einzuholen.

Deutschland ist groß, schön, aber ziemlich flach und monoton. Nach Stunden und Stunden auf dem Roller werden all diese Eindrücke irgendwie zusammengepresst, was durch die Tatsache nicht erleichtert wird, dass ich auf den Straßen entlang großer Seen fahre, deren Profil und Kurven offenbar von Euler selbst entworfen wurden. Man kann kilometerweit geradeaus sehen, dann macht die Straße eine kleine Kurve unter einem bestimmten Winkel und dann wieder geradeaus, wie mit dem Lineal gezogen. Am Sedlitzer See (487,6 km) trinke ich den letzten Energieriegel und bewundere die Windturbinen des Kraftwerks. Die Nacht bricht herein und der Gedanke “nicht auf dem Roller einschlafen, nicht im Abstieg einschlafen, nicht einschlafen!” hallt in meinem Kopf wider. In Calau in Zinnitz halte ich es kaum noch aus, ich setze mich an die Bushaltestelle, lege meinen Rucksack auf meine Knie und schlafe 35 Minuten lang ein. Mein Puls fällt auf ein Minimum von 61 bpm. Ich wache auf und mache mich wieder auf den Weg, die Temperatur fällt von 14 auf 8 Grad und ich muss mich irgendwie aufwärmen, also wechsle ich die Technik und gehe zu schnellen kreisförmigen Schritten über, beschleunige spürbar. Meine Knie melden sich schon seit etwa 300 Kilometern, aber das hier ist etwas besser.

Hinter Luckau beginnt der Teil, den ich nur noch aus eigenem Antrieb fahre, weitere monotonen Straßen und Landschaften. Ich mische meinen verbleibenden Wasservorrat mit Iongetränk und AC-Salzen an einem Denkmal für sowjetische Truppen, fahre durch Groß Machnow, wo ich auf den Kienitzer Weg abbiege – 3,5 Kilometer absoluter Alptraum, vielleicht nur für Panzer, ich weiß nicht, warum sie diese Straße nicht reparieren. Ich fahre/gehe so langsam, um keinen Platten zu bekommen, denn obwohl ich mit schlauchlosen Reifen fahre, bin ich nur wenige Kilometer von Berlin entfernt und möchte das Rennen nicht nur wegen eines platten Reifens beenden.

Hinter Dahlewitz fahre ich durch den Kontrollpunkt, der für mich auf 606,3 km zur Zeit 48:48:18 verschoben ist, und fahre in Richtung Berlin. Ich nehme kaum wahr, wo ich mich befinde, aber plötzlich sehe ich ein Schild mit “Berlin” und fahre darauf zu, um endlich anzukommen. Leichte Abfahrten wechseln sich mit leichten Anstiegen ab. Etwa 14 km vor dem Ziel überhole ich ein Auto, neben dem ein umgedrehter Roller ohne Hinterrad liegt, und ich sehe Sandra, wie sie mir zuruft “GO GO GO!!!” Also gehe ich los. Es dauert nicht mehr lange!

Kreuzungen, Radfahrer, Autos halten mich auf, aber ich bin überrascht, wie rücksichtsvoll sich die Menschen hinter dem Lenkrad verhalten, wo die Infrastruktur Zweiradfahrzeuge als gleichwertige Teilnehmer am Straßenverkehr berücksichtigt.

Etwa einen Kilometer vor dem Ziel holt Sandra mich ein, die das Rennen vorzeitig beendet hat, aber trotzdem bis zum Ende geblieben ist. Sie hat meinen Fortschritt auf der Karte genau beobachtet. Also fahren wir gemeinsam die letzten paar hundert Meter. Ich schlage vor, am Ende noch zu sprinten, da wir schon dabei sind, das Rennen zu fahren. Ich höre nur “you are so crazy!” Ja, du auch, liebe Sandra, dass du dich auf dieses verrückte Abenteuer eingelassen hast.

Die letzte Kreuzung vor der Fußgängerzone, noch ein paar Meter und WIR SIND ENDLICH DA!!! (630 km, 50 Stunden 23 Minuten 31 Sekunden)

Wir suchen jemanden, der uns erwartet, kreisen um das Brandenburger Tor und treffen schließlich auf Sandras Supportteam. Ein sehr emotionaler Abschluss, Tränen in den Augen, ein Foto vor dem Tor, etwa 100 Umarmungen, und dann verabschieden wir uns, da wir noch ein paar Stunden bis zur Ergebnisverkündung haben. Da ich am nächsten Tag wieder arbeiten muss, gehe ich etwas essen, gebe Guido das GPS zurück, erfahre, wie die anderen abgeschnitten haben, wer angekommen ist und wer nicht, und stelle dann das Berliner Hauptbahnhof als Ziel in mein Navigationsgerät ein.

Ich kann immer noch nicht glauben, dass wir es geschafft haben. Allein die Tatsache, dass man sich einer solchen Herausforderung stellt, kann inspirierend sein, umso mehr, wenn ein Freund gewinnt und dabei eine legendäre Zeit schlägt. Wenn man sieht, wozu ein Mensch in der Lage ist, wenn er an seine Grenzen geht und mit oder ohne Hilfe die einzelnen Hindernisse überwindet und selbst wenn es nicht immer Spaß macht, sein Ziel verfolgt. Und selbst wenn er es vielleicht nicht schafft, ist es nicht das Ende der Welt. Er ist an den Start gegangen, hat sich der Herausforderung gestellt, es versucht, und auch wenn er das Rennen nicht beendet hat, bringt es ihn weiter. Mental, körperlich, er sammelt Erfahrungen und erfährt die Grenzen seines Körpers.

Ich danke absolut allen, die am Rennen teilgenommen haben, Support geleistet, Nachrichten geschrieben, Berichte für andere verfasst, Fotos und Videos gemacht haben, die es mit Spannung verfolgt haben, auf Facebook gelesen haben oder einfach nur den Beitrag geliked haben.

Es freut mich, dass es euch nicht egal ist.

P.S. Zur Route habe ich auch etwas geschrieben. Ich habe mich für Nebenstraßen entschieden, um den Hauptverkehrsstraßen zu entgehen, da tschechische Fahrer tendenziell im Verkehr etwas beweisen möchten. Um meine Sicherheit und die der anderen zu gewährleisten, habe ich meinen Weg um 25 km verlängert, was vor allem für Ruhe gesorgt hat. In dieser Hinsicht sind Österreich und Deutschland meiner Meinung nach ganz anders, was den Straßenverkehr betrifft. Sie berücksichtigen Radfahrer als gleichwertige Teilnehmer, daher ist die Infrastruktur für sie viel besser vorbereitet und es ist auch zu erkennen, dass ihnen in Fahrschulen viel mehr Aufmerksamkeit und bessere Schulung geschenkt wird. Da haben wir etwas zu lernen.

  Norbertova zpráva

Kickdistance 2023: Wien – Berlin

Konečně v cíli. Za posledních pár dní se tady objevilo hodně příspěvků o závodě před i po jeho skončení. Aby toho nebylo málo, posílám slíbených pár slov, ale hezky od začátku.

Přihlašování, kvalifikaci – o těch se již psalo (Strava), tak přejdu k hlavnímu eventu.

Všechno to začalo v pátek ráno, kdy jsem si ještě před odjezdem vlaku kontroloval a nahrával trasu a odškrtával si položky z mentálního seznamu věcí, které potřebuji vzít s sebou a co musím zkontrolovat. Batoh, koloběžku, přilbu, rukavice, brýle a můžu vyrazit.

V 8:24 odjíždím z Prahy a ve 12:49 přijíždím do Vídně. Mám pár hodin času do společného setkání s ostatními blázny, tak si dělám ještě kratší výlet na start jiného závodu Vie-BA, kde doplňuji vodu z veřejného zdroje, dávám si pauzu na lavičce pod krásnou košatou lípou a v půl čtvrté nastavuji na Garminu Museumsplatz 1, kde se po chvilce setkáváme s většinou závodníků a jejich podporou a mediálním týmem. Na terase Café Leopold už jsou Andreas, David, Guido, Tomáš Hájek (kterého se mi nedaří označit), po chvilce přichází Sandra a nakonec taky Michal. David Leitheiser, který se na nás přišel podívat, kvůli zánětu šlachy nenastupuje, ale přišel nás pozdravit.

Zatímco sedíme u jídla a pití, klábosíme, dostáváme GPS trackery, pár dokumentů k vyplnění (souhlas s podmínky závodu), překvapuje nás náhlý déšť a mokrá cesta s Michalem na koloběžce na pokoj (Garmin vybírá trasu asi tak o 4 km delší, než bychom chtěli, ale je již pozdě, abychom to nějak měnili). Tam po rychlé sprše potkáváme Václava, kterému dělá společnost Markéta, tudíž je startovní pole kompletní. Sušíme mokré svršky, nabíjíme zařízení. Zjišťuju, že zlobí telefon a nefunguje mu správně USB-C port nabíjení a taky, že ne každý kabel je kompatibilní s bezkontaktní nabíječkou, takže se mi telefon do dalšího rána nabíjí na 30 procent, zapínám maximální šetření baterie a modlím se, aby to nějak vydrželo.

Po snídani a opuštění ubytování se s Michalem přesouváme na start, kde se na Stefansplatz sešla skupina 8 koloběžkářů, jejich podpory, pár fanoušků. Na kraji stojí auta se vším potřebným, panuje atmosféra očekávání. Ještě pár společných fotek, zapnout trasu na navigaci a nastupujeme si do jedné linie čelem k směru trasy.

Guido začíná odpočítávání “5, 4, 3, 2, 1, GO (Trhni si nohou)!” a vyrážíme na cestu, kde si všichni prověří své možnosti.

Ze začátku se držím v prvním balíku společně s Michalem, Andreasem, Sandrou, Vaškem, Guidem. Střídáme se na čele balíku abychom si všichni užili být první alespoň na chvilku, tahá nás hlavně Andreas a Michal, mile nás překvapuje Sandra, která se žene do čela a jede jako dračice, později se dostávám dopředu a užívám si čelo, protože už pak nebude možnost tahat první balík. Taky konstatuji, že do kopců mi to moc nejede, takže nejspíš se oddělím, no dokud je to rovina, tak bych nechtěl být pozadu. Z prvního pelotonu se odděluje 4-členná skupina pokračující dál. Pár kilometrů a zbytek už není vidět. Cestou párkrát potkáváme mediální tým (mám fotku na čele, ha! Díky, Gerhard Daniela Zitzmann) a pár aut podpory. 24 km od startu se drží průměrka na 22,5 km/h. Přichází první menší kopec a začínáme se trhat.

Mám možnost vidět, jak jedou Michal s Vaškem v háku, za nimi Andreas a postupně odpadávám.

Začíná automatická fáze a v mysli si přehrávám písně, kterých tempo přímo koreluje s tempem odrazů, jednoduchý 4/4 takt je hezky komplementární frekvenci odrazů 8-8 (4-4 do kopce), kterou tak nějak podvědomě dodržuju. Prudší kopce než 6-7% jdu, nemá smysl mrhat síly, když není úmyslem závodit. Rakousko si docela užívám, všímám si rozdíly ve vesnické architektuře, obdivuju cedule označující začátky a konce vesnic a měst, které jsou zdobeny kvetoucími muškáty.

Na 34. a 54. km zastavuju na prvních z mnoha občerstvovacích pauzách (kousek tyčinky a sušené banány), následně projíždím hranici s Českem a v Jaroslavicích zastavuji v COOPu na první doplňovačce za 43 Kč – 1,5l vody a 0,5l plechovka Kofoly (kterou dám na ex). Projíždím Znojmem, u kterého se začínám odchylovat od hlavní trasy a začíná nabírání výškových metrů.

Teplota začíná šplhat na 28°C, co je daleko nad mým komfortem, který činí asi 18°C. Za Příměticemi stavím na kraji silnice, kde rostou třešně (trochu kyselejší), míjím Kravsko a prvních 100 km. U Boskovštejnu si vzpomenu na Andreu a dál jedu svým tempem. V Jaroměřicích nad Rokytnou mě předjíždí parta asi 130 motorkářů, krajnice je užší a tempo aut vyšší, no nechci pomyslet na to, co je na hlavním tahu.

V Nové Brtnici (151,9 km) stavím na kolu, protože nemám na zmrzlinu chuť, dávám se do řeči s prodávající, obdivuje s ostatními koloběžku a plán jízdy. Cestou do Jihlavy, jedu pomyslným vrcholem (x2) a začíná pomalá redukce výškových metrů přerušovaná výstupy/výjezdy.

Po chvíli si začnu říkat, že by se hodila hospoda a ani ne za 100 m vidím hospodu v Antonínově Dole, kde stavím na Birell a klobásu. Mé přání je shora vyslyšeno.

Další stoupání po silnici se zvýšeným provozem a na 185. kilometru mě to přestává bavit a dělám si zastávku v zastávce, kontroluju telefon, který hlásí asi 13%. Na chvíli si sedám, protahuju nohy, připojuju telefon k powerbance, no nabíjí se hrozně pomalu (100% za 6h 50m). Zatímco čekám, aby se alespoň trochu dobila baterie, přijíždí ke mě support Sandry a ptají se, jestli je všechno v pořádku, protože dlouho stojím na místě. Říkám, že mám slabou baterku v mobilu, no nějak to půjde – nabíjí se, ale pomalu. Takže počkám ještě alespoň 15-20 minut a pojedu dál.

Pokračuju po silnici, čeká mě Havlíčkův Brod, no ještě předtím navštívím benzínku (Shell, 192,8 km), kde doplním vodu a energeťák. Další dupání a končím v Sázavce na zastávce (215,9 km), kde si potřebuju alespoň na chvilku zdřímnout. Je asi tak 13°C, tak se navlékám do všeho, co najdu, nabíjím telefon a na hodinu vypínám vědomí.

Po probuzení pokračuju dál směrem Kutná hora, kde zastavuju na druhé benzínce (MOL, 248,1 km), kde do hlavy tlačím panini s chorizem, nějaké pití, pořizuju další energeťák a povídám si s Polákem, který si přisedá ke stolu a ptá se na koloběžku. Kolín, Poděbrady, Nymburk. Za Nymburkem musím zase do nepromokavého oblečení – začíná pršet, sice to není moc, ale není to nic příjemnýho, později to bude znovu potřeba. Dělám pár zastávek na tyčinku, sušené maso, banány a mango a takhle se dostávám do Mladé Boleslavi, konkrétně na benzínku č. 3 (EuroOil, 315,4 km), která mi hrozně připomíná benzínku v Uničově, kde jsme s Pájou 2x stavili na kafe při Přejezdu republiky. Dávám si sendvič s šunkou a sýrem, beru si vodu do láhví, energeťák do batohu a vyrážím směr Postřelná.

Všechno jde tak nějak pořád automaticky na autopilotovi, nechávám za sebou Hrdlořezy a za stoupáním mě překvapuje průtrž, jakou jsem nechtěl potkat. Okamžitě je všechno mokré, stíhám si na sebe hodit nepromokavou bundu (kalhoty jsem měl na sobě pořád) a cestou do Bělé pod Bezdězem si připomínám Rybníkářův pohár – vlastně jenom ten rybník, který se mi nějak dostává do bot. Vybraným slovníkem, kde padají snad veškerá vyjmenovaná slova, kořením svou cestu, jedu známými silnicemi přes Ralsko, Mimoň, před kterou do sebe leju další energeťák, načež se konečně dostávám do Tomášové oázy dálkoplazů – Postřelné (361,4 km).

Den před odjezdem do Vídně jsem si u Tomáše nechal bagáž se vším náhradním, nástroje na servis, jídlo, pití, karimatku se spacákem atd. Takže hned, jak opřu koloběžku o stěnu, jdou boty, ponožky a kalhoty na slunce, telefon na nabíječku (snad naposled), dávám si konzervu s tuňákem, anglický rohlík, vodu, běžím do sprchy, snažím se spát, no Vláďovi se chce si povídat (sice není nejlepší doba), dostávám informace, že Sandra projela kolem, usínám, budím se, mažu se Sudokremem, protože opruzeniny jsou znát, taky na sebe stříkám opalovák snad v pětité vrstvě, doplňuju vodu, míchám si ionťák, AC salts, beru si hořčík, zamykám areál a vyrážím. Všeho všudy 3h, ale intenzivní.

Po zastávce v boxu (pit stop) v Postřelné nabírám směr Jablonné v Podještědí, Krompach, Valy, pak na 4x projíždím státní hranici ve směru Varnsdorf, Rumburk, Království, kde si na hřbitově doplňuju vodu do každé lahve, co bude velice kritická zastávka (405,4 km), míjím Šluknov a odteď už jedu jenom Německem.

Bundesrepublik Deutschland je země osmého divu světa. Tím je to, že v neděli je zavřeno úplně všechno až na pár stánků s jídlem mimo hlavní silnici. To platí taky o benzínkách a supermarketech. Taky tady nenajdete spolehlivý zdroj pitné vody, kde byste si mohli doplnit zásoby. Takže moje poslední zastávka v Království na hřbitově byla poslední před vykoupením v podobě otevřené benzínky ve městě Hoyerswerda (Aral, 465,4 km), jinak bych musel vyžít s 2,5 l tekutin na zbývajících 225 km. Takhle jsem si doplnil vodu po 60 km (už jsem byl docela nervózní, Pavla ví, psal jsem jí ze zastávky u rybníka ve vesničce Commerau) a tahle voda mi vydržela až do konce závodu, celkem 165 km. Poté, co čtu, že Sandra je snad 10 km ode mě nakopávám intenzitu a od teď se budu snažit ji dojet.

Německo je rozlohou velké, hezké, ale docela placaté a monotónní. Po hodinách a hodinách na stupátku se to všechno nějak sráží dohromady, čemu nepomáhá fakt, že u velkých jezer cestou jedu silnicemi, kterých profil a zakřivení navrhnul snad samotný Euler, tudíž je vidět rovně na kilometr nebo dva, pak se to zatáčí pod nějakým úhlem pár metrů a zase rovně, jako podle pravítka. U Sedlitzer See (487,6 km) piju poslední energeťák a kochám se větrnými turbínami elektrárny. Přichází noc a hlavou se ozývá myšlenka “jen neusnout na stupátku, jen neusnout ve sjezdu, neusnout!” Za Calau ve vesničce Zinnitz to už moc nedávám, sedám si do zastávky, pokládám batoh na kolena a usínám na 35 minut. Tep padá na minimum 61 bpm. Budím se a vyrážím, teplota padá z 14 na 8 stupňů a musím se nějak zahřát, takže měním techniku a jdu do rychlých kruhových odrazů, citelně zrychluji, kolena se ozývají sice už asi od 300. kilometru, ale tohle je trochu lepší.

Za Luckau začíná část, kterou jedu už jenom z vlastního donucení, další monotónní silnice, scenérie. Do zbylé vody si míchám ionťák a AC při pomníku sovětských vojsk, projíždím Groß Machnowem, kde najíždím na Kienitzer Weg – 3,5 km naprosté pohromy, snad jenom pro tanky, nevím, proč tu silnici neopraví. Jedu/jdu tak pomalu, abych nepíchnul, protože navzdory tomu, že jedu s bezdušovými koly, jsem pár km od Berlína a nechci ukončit závod jenom kvůli řízlému plášti.

Za Dahlewitzem projíždím kontrolním bodem, který je pro mě posunutý na hodnotu 606,3 km v čase 48:48:18 a jedu směrem Berlín. Moc nevnímám, kde se nacházím, jenom najednou vidím ceduli “Berlin”, tak jedu, abych to konečně ukončil. Mírné sjezdy střídají mírné stoupání. Asi 14 km od cíle jedu kolem auta, vedle kterého je vzhůru nohama otočená koloběžka bez asi zadního kola a vidím Sandru, jak na mě křičí “GO GO GO!!!” Tak já teda go. Zbývá jen chvilka!

Zastavují mě křižovatky, cyklisti, auta, no i tak jsem překvapený, jak ohleduplně se chovají lidi za volantem, kde se v infrastruktuře počítá s jednostopým vozidlem, jako s plnohodnotným účastníkem silničního provozu.

Asi kilometr od cíle mě dojíždí Sandra, která ukončila závod předčasně, ale i tak zůstala do konce, pečlivě se supportem sledovala můj postup na mapě, tak spolu jedeme těch posledních pár sto metrů. Navrhuju si ještě na konec zasprintovat, když už jedeme ten závod, na co jenom slyším “you are so crazy!” jo, ty taky, milá Sandro, že ses do té šílenosti pustila.

Poslední křižovatka před pěší zónou, pár metrů a KONEČNĚ JSME TAM!!! (630 km, 50h 23 min 31s)

Hledáme někoho, kdo by nás tam čekal, kroužíme kolem Brandenburské brány a nakonec se potkáváme s jejím supportem. Hodně emotivní konec, slzy na krajíčku, fotka před bránou, asi tak 100 objetí a loučíme se s tím, že máme ještě pár hodin do vyhlášení výsledků. Protože, ale, musím další den do práce, tak jdu něco sníst, dávám do navigace adresu, kde je Guido, odevzdávám mu tracker, dozvídám se o ostatních, kdo jak dorazil, nebo nedorazil a následně po rozloučení nastavuju cílovou stanici Berlin Hauptbahnhof.

Pořád nemůžu uvěřit, že jsme to ujeli. Už jen to, že se člověk postaví na start takové výzvy, může být inspirativní, o to víc, když to vyhraje kamarád a porazí přitom čas, který je legendární. Když je vidět, čeho může člověk dosáhnout, když si sáhne na dno svých sil a s pomocí, nebo bez něj překonává dílčí překážky a i když to často nebaví, jde za svým cílem. A i když to třeba nedokončí, není to konec světa. Postavil se na start, čelil výzvě, zkusil to a navzdory tomu, že závod ukončil, ho to posune dál. Mentálně, fyzicky, nabere zkušenosti, zjistí limity svého těla.

Děkuji absolutně všem, kdo závodil, dělal support, psal zprávy, reporty pro ostatní, fotky a videa, kdo to s napětím sledoval, nebo si to jenom četl na Facebooku, nebo dal like na příspěvek.

Jsem rád, že vám to není jedno.

P.S. K trase už jsem taky něco napsal. Volil jsem silnice mimo nejhlavnější, protože čeští řidiči mají tendenci si v provozu něco dokazovat. Kvůli mé bezpečnosti a taky ostatních jsem si prodloužil cestu o 25 km, co mi zaručilo hlavně klid. V tomhle, si myslím, jsou Rakousko a Německo úplně jinde, co se silničního provozu týká. Počítají s cyklisty jako plnohodnotnými účastníky, tudíž je na ně mnohem lépe připravena infrastruktura a taky je vidět, že v autoškolách se jim věnují mnohem více a lépe. Máme co kopírovat.

Norbert Palša is qualified (status BRONZE): 134,95 km in 09:06:39 (14.5.2023). Norbert kicked the 121,00 km in 07:45:00!